Project 3: Statistical Quality Control with a Focus on Building Necessary Work Skills
The purpose of this project is to incorporate employability skills (teamwork, problem solving, verbal communication,
written communication, dependability/work ethic and planning and organizing skills) into activities that focus on
statistical quality control in manufacturing.
This project is divided into four main activities:
- Activity 1: Team Building: This series of exercises includes the
DISC assessment, group discussion and Hole Tarp activity.
- Activity 2: Define The Project - Creating the Project Plan: This
activity introduces students to the process of identifying goals and preparing a project plan
- Activity 3: Data Collection: This activity introduces students
to the measurement and data collection of packaging material combinations. This activity should
be competed using authentic packaging materials. The activity can also be completed with sample
data sets. Students should also be required to draw conclusions on the data analysis.
- Activity 4: Final Presentation: The project team will deliver
a formal presentation about their findings from activities 1, 2 and 3.
Courses for Implementation:
- Rapid prototyping
- Supply chain
Key Terms/Major Topics:
- Data acquisition
- Measurement skills
- Lean manufacturing concepts
- Statistical process control
- 3D printing and scanning
- Packaging design and functionality
- Productivity and efficiency (downtime, utilization, etc)
- Standard classroom technology equipment (computer, projector, etc.)
- Computers with Internet access and presentation software (Microsoft PowerPoint, Apple Keynote, Powtoon or Prezi, etc.)
- The Ideal Team Player (copyright 2016)
- Packaging materials for data collection
- Measurement tools
- Tennis balls